Thursday, October 16, 2008

Loon Lake 2008

Every year we look forward to Thanksgiving at Loon Lake near Cache Creek. This year, we all went with a little trepidation as we were staying at a new place. Jason's family has been going to the same fishing resort (It is very funny that it is called a resort) for over 20 years. This last summer they tore down the cabins that they have always rented. The new place turned out to be great and Walter introduced something new which made the weekend even more enjoyable. He set up a great big car tent with outdoor heaters where all 23 of us were able to eat together. And since eating is one of the main things we do there, we all enjoyed being able to sit together in a nice warm place. We enjoyed so much good food--spaghetti, hamburgers, homemade soup, lots of eggs and bacon and pancakes and even turkey dinner. I made my first every cobbler in the fire in my dutch oven I've had for years which to my surprise, turned out amazing! We did lots of fishing, game playing, hanging out at the playground, eating, walking, eating, sitting by the fire, eating and laughing. Somehow, Aunt Sue managed to not only catch the most fish but also win the annual game of Spoons for at least the 2nd year in a row (but not without injury--oops, sorry!). Jason and I even got to go on a 2 hour canoe ride all by ourselves. The last time we did this, I think it was pre-kids and we got caught in a storm and had to be rescued! We just had such a nice time in the quiet! Every year, we enjoy this weekend and as the kids get older it gets even more enjoyable. I can't wait for next year!

4 comments:

rachel joy said...

You look so very cute in that first picture! What a fabulous tradition, we gotta get one of those started somehow.

Tricia said...

That cobbler looks fabulous! What a smart girl...must take after your mother! Love Mother

leah said...

Looks Great! I agree on the cuteness and fabulousness! Can't wait to see my cute and fabulous sister in one more sleep!

Shelbs said...

Sounds like such a fun time. I didn't realize how many people are there with you when you go. What a great tradition. Nice work on the cobbler too, not that it should be a surprise. You are quite the good cook/baker.