Monday, August 20, 2007

Camping

This year we went camping for a whole week with our 3 little rascals and it was quite the adventure. We spent 4 nights at Rathtrevor Beach in Parksville and 2 out of a planned 3 nights at Gordan Bay on Lake Cowichan. While we were at Rathtrevor, we had a variety of weather as well as a variety of visitors. Walter and Julia were with us for the first 2 nights and my Dad was there for 3 nights. We had our traditional birthday party for my brother Jamie which brought Pat and Candy, Jamie and Kristin, Grandma S., Grandma K. and Uncle Dale up to celebrate. We got cozy under the tarp and around the fire because it was raining. We're glad they were all still able to make it. While at Rathtrevor, we spent lots of time on the beach, at the playground, and riding bikes. One day we went into Parksville to play at their huge waterpark and playground. The kids loved it there. The funny thing is that we went there last year and our time there ended almost the same way it did this year. Last year, we had to leave because Aidan wet his pants. That was actually the last time he ever had an accident because he was so upset about leaving. If only, Michael was so sensitive. I was looking at Michael and noticed something sticky on his leg. It wasn't mud!! That ended the park time for a second year in a row.

Building sand castles with Grandpa Walter.
Keira's first ice cream cone. She knew exactly what to do with it. She loved it! The big birthday party for Uncle Jamie. Hot Chocolate--the boys new favorite drink! Everything is a climbing aparatus for Keira.
Overall, we had a really nice time at Rathtrevor and regretted not just spending our whole week there. What on earth were we thinking when we decided to change locations with 3 young children and 2 tents!! Never again!! Some

how we managed to pack up, get laundried and cleaned at Papa's house, drive up to Lake Cowichan and set up all in one day. Once we were there, we were happy to be there as it was a beautiful campsite on the lake. Unfortunately, the weather was not fantastic while we were there. We did get a few hours swimming and playing on the beach on Thursday when my friend Kathleen and 2 kids came to visit. Our kids loved playing together especially the boys with their sticks. I never realised boys could be so particular about their sticks! We also went on a hike, rode bikes, played in the forest, and sat by the campfire. We even visited a walk-in clinic in Duncan because I got a big cut under my eye when I walked full speed into a big boulder and fell flat on my face. Yes, it was night time and I had a flash light but I guess I was in la la land. I now have a very ugly slash under my right eye and a blackish yellowish eye. I look like I've been beaten up good. Due to the weather we finally gave in Friday afternoon and left a day early to enjoy a dry night sleep at my dad's house. Camping with a crawling one year old in the rain is not reccommended! We are also looking forward to one day camping without a toilet training toddler. I guess we probably have one more summer of that to look forward to. Overall, it was a lot of hard work but worth it for the good times we had as a family!Daddy hanging a tarp. Here are Aidan's thoughts about our camping trip: I wanted to see a bear get caught in the bear trap. I liked Auntie Kathleen, J and R coming to visit. I liked swimming in the lake. I liked the crabs. I liked roasting marshmallows every night.

Here's the spider I found.

3 comments:

leah said...

aahahhhh! I'm still crawling from that creepy spider...on his hand no less! Tell Aidan I think he is super brave! Sounds like quite the adventure. You two are the most amazing, super-de-duper parents ever. All that hard work, but all those wonderful memories that made me laugh! Enjoyed the stories and all the pics!

The Boese's said...

Wow, please Lord may my girls never pick up spiders and let them crawl on them!! Lord help me if that happens!! What a great time you guys had...Leah is right..you are super-de-duper parents...most would think you're crazy...including me...but that's why I love you so much!! Can't wait to join you in the camping craziness coming up soon!

Eric said...

We'll see if we can be as super-duper as you, as we try our first camping trip with our kids!