Wednesday, December 13, 2006
Swimming frustration - by Jason
Aidan started swimming lessons this week. He did well on Monday, although he said later, "they didn't teach me to swim!" He was expecting to come out an Olympic champion, but instead was relegated to a small group of like-aged children whom the instructor ran after for most of the lesson. They played games and "got used to the water" - as though the molecular compound that makes up 80% of our bodies is completely foreign to us. Tuesday, Aidan did not want to go in the water - he did not say why. So I'm struggling with how to make swimming a positive experience for him. Part of me wants to bribe him - give him a treat or something for going in the water. Part of me wants to guilt him into joining the swimming class - I paid good money for it. But in the end I want him to feel loved and appreciated for WHO he is, not simply for WHAT he does. I'm not sure how to achieve that. So we stayed the entire lesson, watching the class. We'll do the same all this week if necessary.
I wonder how God deals with this. Like when He gives me an opportunity to learn, grow, expand my proverbial horizon - and I choose not to. Or when I live with guilt and fear and sin, even though He already paid to free me from those bonds. All I have to do is "join the class" of the saints who are trying to live like the people they've become in Christ. Yet I falter...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Thanks for the "swimming lesson" for us big kids, too. I hope Aidan will decide that sitting on the side is no fun and will rejoin the class again.
Deep thoughts, tough situation and so many ways to approach it.
Maybe get him in the water before the class starts and practise some things with him...just an idea...or just use the force.
Preacher Faulkner...thanks for the lesson. I wonder how many times I have sat on the side not even wanting to dip my feet in...God's grace and patience really is amazing.
On another note...I say just throw him in the deep end and you can have another illustration on how our father saves us from drowning in the thrashing waters around us. Although I am not sure how that really helps your situation.
You are a very patient and loving father Jason! I honestly believe that you are the best judge of what Aidan needs to accomplish this new event in his life. You will know when to be patient and when he needs a little push. It's amazing how kids can teach us so many profound things about ourselves and about our heavenly Father. I'm sure Aidan will come around.
Post a Comment