Saturday, February 24, 2007
Burlap Jars and Cranial Smooching
So I just came home from a concert - Jars of Clay with Burlap to Cashmere - and I was thinking about how so many little details distracted me from the show. For example, there was this lead guitarist who didn't appear to be enjoying the show much. He was expressionless. And there was this lead singer who was almost doing actions to the lyrics. He reminded me of American Idol - the tryout sessions - except he could sing. I only knew 4 of the songs they sang all night. The songs I knew they made me sing myself (didn't I pay to hear THEM sing the songs?). I thought the instrument levels were off - and I couldn't understand/hear the words very well (age-related auditory degeneration?). And there was this video meant to inspire us all to sign-up in the foyer to sponsor a child in a developing country for the cost of 10 lattes a month (I hate coffee). This guy on the video kissed a poor boy's head at least ten times in the 2-3 minute spot. Excessive? I thought so. It made me uncomfortable.
Overall, I had a good time. Burlap was worth the price of admission; Jars picked it up half way through their set. Perhaps they could use a choreographer. (Or maybe having one is the problem. Paula Abdul should submit a resume.) And the child-sponsorship NGO is well-intentioned and I'm sure they do good work. I simply don't prefer their marketing.
Oh, to be able to enjoy a concert.
Too bad for me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Jason...you are sooo funny! I think you should attend more concerts, so we can be entertained by your insightful, highly opinionated, hilariously profound critiques! Thank you! What is the next concert you plan on going to? Was this a date night with Elizabeth?
Sounds like a great time!
The date was with me, but there was no cranial smooching!
Post a Comment